Thursday, June 23, 2011

The 100 Calorie Version

I've been seeing more and more 100-calorie versions of my favorite junk food in stores everywhere. On one hand, I think it's a great idea to buy these 100-calorie packs because it's already portioned out for me and I know exactly how many calories im eating. I think these 100-calorie packs are also great for traveling, because you can eat them on the go. When I first saw these I thought about how they help with portion control and eating in moderation. On the other hand, grabbing a 100-calorie pack of chocolate covered pretzles over an apple isn't always the best/healiest choice.
 
 
Though I have to admit I am a fan of them, this doesn't mean I'm going to be living of off 100-calorie packs of junk food for the rest of my life. I'm going to buy them to help me eat in moderation, for on the go and for a quick low-calorie snack.


Now it's your turn! Leave a comment and let me know what you think of these 100-calorie packs? Are you a fan of them? Do you think it's a good or bad idea and why?


10 comments:

Kat said...

the ice cream was helpful for me, but the little bags were NOT. Not to mention the cookies never really tasted like the real thing to me, so I just ended up wanting more!! I think its a good idea in THEORY, but just not for me!

Lily said...

i think these 100-calorie packs are a good idea! I keep a 100-calorie pack of almonds or goldfish for an on the go snack in my purse :)

whenever I want something unhealthy like cookies or m&ms, I just grab one of these and dont feel bad about eating more than i should!

Kate said...

I think it depends on the product. I love the 100 calorie bags of popcorn because it really tastes the same and you get a good portion. But I've tried some of the bags of candy where what they give you isn't very much and doesn't taste like the real thing. So I think overall they are hit or miss.

Anonymous said...

Well, the idea behind these is great and they're awesome for portion control and snacks on the go, but i could see them becoming a problem when someone thinks "Only 100 calories! Thats nothing!" then proceedes to eat the whole box! Also, they could never replace nutrient rich snacks like fruits and veggies :)

Anonymous said...

I'm not a big fan of the 100 cal packs. I usually go for more natural snack options. They do come in handy for desserts though, I have to have dessert every night!!

Hope said...

These 100-cal packs are perfect for people who are watching the calories they are eating. It helps with portion control and eating sweets and junk food in moderation.

I think these are great for an in-between snack! I always take 100-cal packs to the movies or when Im on the go!

Lindsay@LivingLindsay said...

I think it's a great concept in the fact that it educates people on serving sizes and how LITTLE you actually get in a serving of these types of foods - haha. But for people that love these types of snacks, I think it's better to control the portion than to overeat.

kristi (sweet cheeks) said...

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Let me know if you like the plyo workout! :)

I am personally not a huge fan of these packs. I prefer to encourage real whole foods that don't come out of package. But they would be good in a pinch, or for traveling!

Anonymous said...

These 100-cal packs are perfect for traveling or a quick snack on the go.

Of course its better to eat REAL food such as an apple as a snack instead of goldfish.. Sometimes I just need some goldfish and these are portioned out so thats great! :D

Errign said...

I think in general, 100 calorie packs encourage people to eat junk food over real food. Personally, I love pretzels and goldfish, but I'd rather buy full size packages & either portion them out, or use them as an excuse in self-control/portion sizes, if that makes sense. It does depend on the product though - I don' necessarily think 100 cal packs of guacamole, nuts, popcorn or whole grain crackers are bad. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...